12/18/07

20-something Psalms - part 1


While most people seem to constantly be drawn to Psalm 23, which is one that I’m constantly drawn too…more often than not, I find myself stuck in the other odd numbered Psalms of 25 and 27.

In the Message, for which I’m inclined, Psalm 25 reads like something I have uttered on many an occasion, “Forget that I sowed wild oats; Mark me with your sign of love. Plan only the best for me, God!” Like the Psalmist, I find myself asking God to forget the wild oats that I sowed because I can’t ever seem to forget them. Like a bad dream, they constantly seem to haunt me. In case any of you are wondering I have forgiven myself, but there still remains a residue, like the root of a wild oat.

Who of us have no regrets, as leaders it always seems easy to move onto the task, or tomorrow’s appointments. However, in leading people, one of the things that I will always regret is the mistakes I’ve made with followers. The one that I regret the most occurred about eight years ago, when I had the best of intentions, but worded a letter in such a way that it hurt the recipient. This residue remains today, and I constantly find myself searching for ways to right this wrong.

I find myself discipling more and more, realizing that I can only rid myself of these wild oats by constantly being at harvest: sifting through the good and the bad, watering the field, and being vigilant about looking for any other wild oats that might crop up. It’s the effect of learning from our mistakes, we make vows about what we will not do, or who we will not become. “If I keep my eyes on God, I won’t trip over my own feet.” These ideas are best learned in our 20-somethings in the 20-something Psalms…up next Psalm 27.

No comments: