12/29/07

20-somethings Psalms - part 2

What has intrigued me the most over the last year is my numbness to shock and awe. It’s that 1 Peter 3:14-18 writing to not be surprised by surprises. As Christians we are to patiently wait it out…never becoming too enthralled with the storm but looking for the miracle, the rainbow that comes after. Psalm 27, shares this same attitude. There seems to be a dichotomy throughout the entirety of this Psalm, “When besieged, I’m calm as a baby. When all hell breaks loose, I’m collected and cool.” (The Message) The Psalmist is writing not only how we are to respond, but because we are Christ like, we must mirror Him. Thus God would also respond to surprises by basically not being surprised at all. Following this passage, a desperate plea is made to grasp a hold of God’s mercy and attention, which described my sentiments. I’ve been cool and calm, doing everything right, just like Job …so hear my cry…if I’ve been mislead, point me in the right direction. But after the desperate pleading, the Psalmist pulls himself out of the storm to see the big picture, a picture of hope. The last few verses close in the following manner, “I’m sure now I’ll see God’s goodness in the exuberant earth. Stay with God! Take heart. Don’t quit. I’ll say it again: Stay with God.” It was these two verses that spoke volumes to me. I received many comments on my first post, all were about how dark it was, and some expressed concerns for my wellbeing. Well, I stand guilty as charged. I was in a horribly dark place, and even though Winston Churchill stated all those years ago, “When you’re at the end of your rope tie a knot and hold on,” I was ready to let go of the knot that I had tied. But other than listening to a sermon, watching The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, and contemplating about my current situation, it was Psalm 27 that gave me hope. Just like the Psalmist, I too began to see God’s goodness, and it was all around me but I had blinded myself from seeing the truth. In closing out the year, I am left with, “Stay with God! Take heart. Don’t quit.” And I ask myself can it really be that simple? Yes.

2 comments:

Cameron Schaefer said...

I think the key is that as Christians, its not that we don't feel pain, mourn or grieve...its that we don't mourn as those who have no hope. In the end there is hope for us as God's family and that makes all the difference.

Justin Steinhart said...

Exactly, when the storm comes, we have a rainbow to hold on to.