12/10/07

My Response...

In every aspect of the world in which we live there truly is a response to every cause. We learned this in elementary as the cause and effect theory, for which there is an equal and opposite action for every action in the universe. Our entire life is based upon triumphs and losses. It even carries over in to our next lives, remember the story of Lazarus? However even though our lives seem to constantly teeter between highs and lows, the teetering of our lives are centered on the fulcrum of God being a just God. All too often we forget that sometimes just because God is on our side that He is not a just God. We remember that God punishes the wicked and blesses the righteous…but what about God causing the sun to rise and set on the righteous and un-righteous? It’s as though C.S. Lewis himself saw to it that he reflected upon this in his book The Lion the witch and the wardrobe, when the beaver was asked whether Aslan was safe, he responded that Aslan wasn’t safe, but was good. God being a just God is His way of responding. When we pray for things, God will answer that prayer, sometimes immediately but often times that prayer isn’t answered until some date in the future. What also needs to be considered is that God doesn’t always say yes. However, no matter the answer or the manner in how the answer comes…God responds. God responds in perfect grace and justice, He never makes a bad or a poor decision. There are many causes good and bad that effect our lives, but God is always looking for a response. I am a native Coloradoan, born in 1981 and I have remained here ever since. I lost my father in 1996. I was a junior in High School when the Columbine Shootings occurred. I watched the second plane hit the World Trade Center in my college geology class. I worked at New Life Church when Ted Haggard was dismissed for sexual immorality. I was on my way to a Christmas party when I heard about the shootings at New Life Church. To be honest, I have not felt as crippled and as crushed as I do now. We just voted in a new senior pastor and I felt as though after a year of being on my knees that we were going to start walking again. I feel violated…someone raped me of my hope this Christmas. As Christians, we celebrate Christmas because of its hope, but I don’t feel like celebrating Christmas because this year a Grinch stole Christmas. I’m not mad, not bitter, not angry, not wanting justice. If anything I realize that someone’s heart was two sizes too small. That’s what I find myself grieving about, this Grinch, had no hope at all. So what is my response? As I search my feelings and what I know to be true, the only thing that I am left with is my faith. Like Aslan not being safe, faith for me isn’t necessarily my safe place, but it is a good place. Out of everything I’ve been through beginning with my Dad’s death, I’ve learned that when I’m crippled, on my knees and stripped of every comfort…having faith, even though sometimes it doesn't seem safe, is where I want to be.

No comments: