1/6/08

A Miserable Job


I just finished reading (I wrote this on 12/27, but had a couple more posts prior to this one) Lencioni’s new book The Three Signs of a Miserable Job. I must say that the entire time I was reading it, I felt guilty about it. Not wishing anyone to see me reading it or have anyone think that I was miserable at my own job and was looking for a way out. I read it in private for this reason because I didn’t want to explain that it was actually for people in management and leadership, because I know that if I saw someone I knew reading a book by that title I would suspect that something was up too.

All fears and secrecy aside, it was extremely upbeat and positive. In fact I received it for Christmas and finished it in about 4 hours. I couldn’t put it down, it read like a Michael Crichton novel, and I believe that this is by far Lencioni’s best book to date. He was able to perfectly scribe where I was failing as a leader. I was on the verge of figuring it out, but hadn’t yet been able to pinpoint an exact idea surrounding my current situation. But the Business leadership/management guru, Lencioni, did.

I’m not going to spoil one’s personal pleasure of reading the book, experiencing those “Ah-hah!” moments. But I’ll just say that you walk away with three main ideas, and some very hard and poignant questions. One thing that I noticed about those questions was that Lencioni phrased the questions without any of them starting with “why.” This past fall I was given a book entitled QBQ or The Question Behind the Question. The book premised that most people asked the wrong questions instead of the right ones. I would say that most people that have a victim mentality ask the wrong questions, starting with the three consonants of…w…h…y (sometimes a vowel).

I must admit that I have a crumb of a tolerance level for anyone with a victim mindset. Internally focused they sometimes end up like a vacuum, sucking up and storing all the wrongs and injustices, until the bag on the vacuum blows up. Anyone finding themselves in the wake of that explosion finds themselves battered in petty grievances. While the vacuum, finally being cleaned out, seems to finally be able to breathe returning to sucking up every wrong.
Posing a lot of ideas, I’ll try to wrap it up as best as possible. As leaders, we need to find out which areas we not succeeding in, and attack that problem. As a Christian I would also add that in attacking it, we should use everything in our toolbox including fasting, prayer, and seeking out wisdom. We must ask all the right questions in order to find the right answers. If we ask the wrong questions we will indefinitely end up at the wrong solutions. In making changes we cannot expect anyone else to change until we change. When we change, we can see others making changes. Lastly don’t judge a book by it’s cover or the person reading that book.

1 comment:

Cameron Schaefer said...

I would add that we need to surround ourselves with people that will ask the right questions as well. Like you always tell me, they call them blind spots for a reason and many times the you are failing in an area and don't even see it.

Agree so much that victim mindset is icky...contagious too! Victims suck the productivity out of the air and get angry if everyone doesn't join them in their sea of despair.