12/7/08

My Favorite Things

It seems as though everyone issues a favorite list at the end of the year, and I mean everyone. Oprah however, isn’t going to monopolize the market on favorites. So I’ve listed several of my favorites in no particular order, and while some may be in a category, others might be as random as a butterfly. Hey look… a butterfly! Movies – I’m a firm believer in Peter Travers being one of the best film critics of all time. So, my selections in no particular order reflect those movies that he and I both liked throughout the year. Wall-E – quite possibly the most touching movie of the year, Wall-E told the story of a robot. Sure as lame as it could sound, and as much as I tried to avoid it, Travers recommended it more than once. So when I had the chance to see it on a cross-country flight I did, and I enjoyed every moment of it. Batman the Dark Knight – I saw this one three times in the theatres, need I say more? No Country for Old Men – The desert was just desert until I saw Lawrence of Arabia, and Texas was just Texas until I saw No Country for Old Men, it shed a whole new light on Cowboy country. Books – Pontoon by Garrison Keillor was such a delightfully comedic look into the iconic Keillor town of Lake Wobegon. It covered grief, returning home, and life’s different twists and turns with wonderful comedic insight. Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places by Eugene Peterson is raking me over the coals; I have never been challenged in my theology and faith as much as this book is challenging me. Peterson serves up such an amazing dish, that I just want to sit and savor every moment. Music – Noah and the Whale – just a fun and eclectic sound. Caleb Collins – both albums are just soothing to put on to relax the soul. Coldplay – amazing. Charlie Hall – you can hear the despair and joy. Willie Nelson and Wynton Marsalis – one of the greatest albums I have ever heard that truly rides the fence of country and blues…my ultimate favorite in this category. Websites – Stuff Christians Like – One of the funniest, ironic, and poignant looks in Christianity from an insider’s perspective. Amazon.com – worlds largest online retailer, and quite possibly the greatest. Clothes – Lucky Brand – famous for their jeans, this brand is my personal favorite, I just love the style and the fit of their t-shirts, track jackets, and jeans. Odd – Notebooks (the real ones) – there is just something warm and real about putting the pen to the paper. I can take notes on my computer, but it’s just not the same. Notebooks make life a little more personal. Cheap gas – I filled up for twenty bucks the other day, 1/3 of what I was paying four months ago…I think that this is everyone’s favorite! Television – 30 Rock – Tina Fey, Alec Baldwin, Tracy Morgan, and the rest of the cast make this one of the funniest shows on primetime since Seinfeld. The Fringe – an exciting new science fiction show by J.J. Abrams (Lost creator). Prison Break – No other show reinvents itself more than Prison Break. It’s captivating, adrenaline pumping, and so mesmerizing. Smallville – After last year’s season, I was disappointed to say the least. Season eight is bringing the show back to some of its greater origins: character and plot development.

No comments: