6/4/11

My New Life Story – Part 1 – theMILL, Morocco, and Macaroni Grill

With New Life being in a summer series, titled “This is My Story” I felt inspired to tell my New Life story, as a reminder of God’s promises and a look back at some of my favorite memories over the past eight years. Here’s part one.

I used to work at Macaroni Grill on N. Academy from 2001 to 2003. It was there that I met several people that changed my life (Aaron Linnebach, Jeremy Burch, and Maggie Turner).  They all attended theMILL, the college and 20-somethings ministry of New Life Church and convinced me to go. I had been burned by my previous church and when I came to college, I became a Barna statistic. I questioned my faith, beliefs, and even God’s existence. But it was through the three of them that I gave church another chance.

I had come to theMILL a few times in the fall of 2003, and had heard that they were going on a mission’s trip to Morocco in 2004. I decided to signup to go for two reasons: 1) I thought it’d be a nice graduation present to myself and 2) I thought I would give God one last chance to prove himself on this trip. How I became infamously known at theMILL was not just through making a fool of myself for Joe’s video announcements, but at our first missions meeting, Aaron asked who and where is Justin Steinhart? I raised my hand, and Aaron went on to say that I had already reached the 50% deadline. I was overwhelmed by God’s faithfulness.

Little did I know that God was going to wreck me prior to the trip. I had a world religion class in college, which caused me to change my view and actually defend and believe in God (it’s interesting that sometimes when you don’t know what you believe to see what all the world has to offer you are forced to make a decision). Then, after that and through our missions trips meetings, theMILL, and Sunday morning at New Life, I came back to the Lord.

On the missions trip I started to really hear and focus in on God’s direction and calling for my life. At every juncture it was always the next step…and not a big giant road map with a final destination. God directs our every step, and he certainly did with me. I’ve just been following the road since then, can’t see necessarily what’s coming around the bend, but I can see each and every next step. After coming back to the Lord, one of my first steps was to join the choir (more on that in my next blog). On the mission trip to Morocco I received my second step…be an intern for theMILL.

I worked diligently for theMILL for 3 years, towards the end I worked at a law-firm getting up at 6 am and working till 3pm; then I’d to serve from 3-7; then I would go to class from 7-9. It was a lot of work and a lot of fun. As an intern, I also received my next step in my journey, which was to go back to school to get my master’s degree, which I received in 2008. I learned a lot and am so grateful for my time as an intern...which is why I greatly value an internship, apprenticeship, or discipleship program.

No comments: