6/11/11

My New Life Story – Part 2 – Worship & Tongues (or vice versa)



With New Life being in a summer series, titled “This is My Story” I felt inspired to tell my New Life story, as a reminder of God’s promises and a look back at some of my favorite memories over the past eight years. This is part two in the series.

As anyone can tell you, worship is one of the things that is sacred and distinguishable at New Life. Any worshiper can tell you that if you’re not worshipping God, you’re worshipping something else. When I came back to the Lord, I remember hearing the announcement to audition to be a part of the choir. I thought, “ I can sing…I need to get connected…I’ll try out.” So I decided to audition.

I thought I failed miserably at the audition…and when I got the confirmation that I was selected to join the choir I broke down in tears. I still can’t really explain my feelings or emotions at that time…but one of the best ways for me to describe it was that I felt redeemed. It was my first introduction to God as someone who is bigger than our failures or shortcomings.

I loved worshiping God with the choir…it was so much fun. The specials, the Thorn, the Holidays, no matter the day, I loved worshipping! One of the things that happened through my involvement with the choir was that I received my prayer language. I can remember it very vividly. But I remember that the activities center was setup with a keyboard and a mic. Ross Parsley got up there and said, "Tonight we aren’t going to rehearse….we aren’t going to sing…we’re going to worship God."

I have never been involved in such a deep and wide worship experience since then. We worshipped so hard, I think a lot of people were sweating, on the floor prostrate, or on their knees. It is and always will be one of my most favorite worship experiences at New Life. I had prayed on different occasions, “Lord baptize me with Your Spirit.” Nothing had happened up until then, and thus I said the prayer again that night…but didn’t know what I was in for.

At one point, the worship got to such peak where I couldn’t use my voice anymore…I felt like throwing up, I felt like I was burning up, and I didn’t know what was happening inside of me. Every time I tried to physically open my mouth to sing…I couldn’t. I was starting to freak out a little bit because I couldn't even talk! When I finally opened up my mouth after about twenty minutes of my stomach turning and churning out came something I had never heard before. I had received my prayer language!

After that I felt like something had been released and I felt like I could worship again and in a whole new way.  It was an incredible God moment that I will never forget. What’s been your favorite worship moment at New Life?

No comments: